Saturday, March 21, 2009

Movin' on up

As my facebook status has just been changed to read, today we were doing a spring cleaning purge. Moving companies charge by weight, so dropping a couple of hundred pounds of outdated textbooks and photocopies that haven't seen the light of day in years seems prudent. The reorganization of our storage area has freed up loads of room too. We haven't contacted anyone regarding the impending move later this summer, but hopefully the slow and steady pace we've been taking will get things done on time.

Another option that we've been mulling over is that we could rent out our house. This would save the stress of trying to sell our house by a certain deadline (which in turn requires certain home improvements to be made by an earlier deadline). Two possible problems with that are that our house isn't in what I would call the prime swath of rental area running through the city, and that it's difficult to know what it is you're getting with a particular tenant.

If anyone has any other suggestions about what to do with our house, I'd be happy to hear them. Arson would seem to be an easy route if it weren't illegal. We also live pretty close to a fire hall too, so it would probably just end up leaving me with a house with soggy rugs, sooty walls and the smell of Schneiders Red Hots.

Edit: Just in case my house happens to legitimately burn down before we move out, I should note that the only reason I mention arson here is because this entry is otherwise completely sensible, and I find that if I don't include at least one ludicrous statement in each entry, my audience becomes turned off and I lose valuable ad revenue. But I have no reservation in saying that if I could manipulate the weather, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute in clearing this lot with a surgical tornado. I mean, would you call insurance fraud on some dude who can summon lightning? No, man, you would let that claim ride.

0 comments: