Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ideas

Post number two for the day also concerns The Ceeb. This week they have been airing a repeat of the 2008 Massey Lectures by Margaret Atwood speaking on the economy. I would ask why they hell they would get a literary figure to give a talk about the North American economic engine, but that would make me a hypocrite because I'm always spouting off on topics about which I really know little more than the average lay-person. But that just reinforces my thesis that, once you get an advanced degree, you can take it as a license to render your opinion on pretty much any topic that you want and people give you a fair amount of leeway. Anyways, it's not her credentials that are the reason for me shutting off the radio this evening; rather, it's her speaking voice. You know how they have a saying about ugly people: "a face for radio?" Well, she has a voice for newspaper, which I suppose suits her choice of vocation. Ironically, the only other person I can think of that I would find more difficult to listen give that same lecture is former head of the Bank of Canada, David Dodge, who would arguably be one of the most qualified people to talk on the subject. I would sooner have nails driven through my ear drums than listen to that man speak for more than a minute.

Update:
This didn't seem to warrant an entirely new post, but I just learned that I am SO screwed.

2 comments:

effamy said...

http://www.isegoria.net/2009/03/stunningly-poor-source-of-expertise.htm

Unknown said...

I have listened to several of her lectures, and while I agree that she is somewhat hard to listen to (for me, I find I lose focus and my mind wanders and I miss a bunch of stuff) she is also quite amusing once you catch her sense of humour. Anyway, my point here is that she is actually not talking about the economy, as she wrote the lectures well before this whole kerfuffle showed up - she is writing about the culture of debt and how that arose in our society.

Mr. Dodge is not nearly as funny as Peggy.

If you would follow my lead and put a spot of milk in that tea you would be fine... no pressure, but all us not about to die of oesophageal cancer kids are doing it.