Thursday, March 5, 2009

The envelope please...

Another thin envelope arrived in the mail today, this time from a Quebec university. The one thing I would like to comment on was the following let-me-down-easy statement ("it's not you, it's me"):

I would like to let you know that the Search Committee was truly impressed with your academic profile and research accomplishments. [emphasis added]
The use of the word truly implies to me that this reflects a specific evaluation. Maybe I'm being cynical here, but that seems at odds with this being a form letter.

I really must find out what it is that these people getting interviewed have that I don't. I'm assuming that the rest of the envelopes that will arrive in the mail in the weeks to come will be similarly composed, which will make a total of about 20 applications sent out between this year and last, and exactly 0 interviews. I hope I can get my dissertation work published this year, and that it makes a difference for next year...

0 comments: