Monday, September 14, 2009

Doctor Chris

Many years ago, I found myself considering my career options. Daan's dad was a clinical psychologist, which appealed to me at the time. However, I have also always had an interest in the life sciences, so I also considered psychiatry, which is kinda similar, except it requires an MD. One important consideration is that I have never been a particularly good sleeper -- being unable to cat-nap when being on call for thirty six straight hours would probably lead me into more than one malpractice suit, and permanent eye-bags. Thus, when I entered the first year of my undergrad at King's College, my course selection sent me down the road to my PhD in psychology (though I decided along the way that being a clinician was not for me and instead found myself studying cognition and now cognitive neuroscience, which is kinda medical, in a poser kind of way).

I am presently watching How It's Made, a Canadian-produced program that runs on Discovery back in Ontario, and on the Science Channel here in Illinois. As the program's title may imply, it shows how various objects are made; tonight, for example, we had coloured pencils, fancy ball-point pens and iron chandeliers. Just moments ago, however, the icky feeling I got when they were showing how various blood products were made out of whole blood drawn from volunteers reaffirmed yet another reason that I was correct not to pursue med school.

In fact, the whole purpose of this blog entry was to serve as a distraction so that the television program didn't cause me to pass out.

1 comments:

effamy said...

1 - I pondered very briefly getting an MD after the PhD was done
2 - Son #1 is quite certain that the sign that I have "made it" will come when I am featured on the Discovery Network.