Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Barkers

One thing I have noticed since moving to the US over a month ago is that the telemarketers are much more of a nuisance. When I first mentioned this to someone, they replied, "well, don't they have ten times the population? Of course you're getting more phone calls!" True, with ten times the population of Canada, it stands to reason that there might be ten times the number of businesses calling people. But they also have ten times as many phones to call. No, proportionally, there seems to be a higher volume of telemarketing traffic, at least by my estimation. In Canada, they recently instated a Do Not Call list. Problem with that was that many people experienced an increase in telemarketer calls after registering their numbers: In effect the list was a registry of valid phone numbers that could be called for the next 30 days.

The DNC list first showed up here in the US, however, and I figured that I am unlikely to receive any more telemarketers calling than I already am. So this evening, I registered my phone number. After 30 days, I'm just going to start making crap up on the phone.

0 comments: