Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fit to tie

In years past, I would have started biking in to school by this point, using pedal power to get me from door-to-door in about 25 minutes (including an invigorating trek up a steep ravine behind the seminary). And in previous years, I would weight about 5 lbs less and be in better shape by this time (being able to go up flights of stairs without being winded), because this year my bike is motorized. A couple reasons for this: First, it takes less time by motorcycle. Second, it's not yet warm enough for shorts, and I'll have chain grease all over my pant leg if I wear jeans, and also possibly work up a sweat. And finally (but most influentially), it's much lazier to not pedal.

My buddy Kevin will be leaving the Good Life fitness club where he's worked for the past few years and starting up his own personal training outfit in the next week. He'll be specializing in programs for young-adults and group workouts, not just limited to lifting weights in a gym but also alternative workouts to change things up and keep it all fresh, which is key to sticking with it. Auger works out all the time as part of his job description, and then there's my buddies Al and Morgan who have been pursuing martial arts to get a good workout, and Amy boxes for similar reasons.

I'll just stop there, because I've gained about 125g and lost lung capacity as I sit here and write about how all my friends are staying in shape. If I had any sense, I'd give Kevin a call.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Though the arial shot of the seminary is nice, you don't really see the invigoration steep ravine...

Here is what you need:
http://www.velo-orange.com/sunchaiguard.html

I need one too.

Chris said...

I don't know how to do a google maps mashup, or else I would have marked the ravine. Thanks for the tip on the chain guard though