Sunday, April 26, 2009

Eine kleine poopmusik

I thought I'd provide just a little bit of talk of bodily functions to start your day off. Like our friend V, who's got a son, Jack-Jack about the same age as Pokey, we're trying to get our little guy using the WC. We've got pull-ups, which could be described as insufficiently absorbent diapers that wear like underwear. The ones that we have been using have Pixar Cars themed designs on them, and with a blue indicator that disappears when wet. I understand that there are also brands that feel cold when they get wet. All that fanciness I think makes them a little more expensive than diapers, which makes it all the more irritating when they end up being used as diapers, as Pokey was doing all day long. I wonder whether it might not be more effective and less expensive to go the other direction and perhaps use some cayenne technology. I bet that gets pretty damn uncomfortable when it gets wet.

I swear there's a funny point to all this.

At the end of the day, he did the one thing in his pullups that I was dreading but expecting. And, as usual, I went through the routine of telling him that it should have gone in the potty. I have alluded in the past that using the potty could earn him a new toy car, but it didn't seem to click until I was changing him tonight. This time, I instead specified that, had he only gone poop in the potty, he could have maybe gotten a new RPM or NitroAid car (if this means nothing at all to you, that means you're enjoying a nice, normal life). When it dawned on Pokey that he had just missed out on that opportunity, he was crushed. He was sobbing, and absolutely had to poop on the potty after that. I was skeptical, as he had just filled his pull-up, but it turns out that some kids can be quite motivated. There was some grunting, and there were tears, but that little guy went and earned himself the last of the die-cast toy cars that Rebecca had cached away. He's a little young for Preparation-H though, so I hope he doesn't make a habit of this.

The moral of the story is that you're never too young to game the system.

0 comments: