Sunday, December 13, 2009

Play by play

I've had a busy last few days. I wend downtown with Amy and Gill on Friday to pick up my laptop, which I had brought in for repairs just days before the extended warranty was set to expire. Now that they've fixed my LCD, I thought it might be wise to walk away from the table with a microphone still clipped to my sweater and pull the laptop off the table. Only a very minor break in the plastic case was observed, and the computer seems to be otherwise fine, though it appears as though it now sits at the BIOS splash screen indefinitely until I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to continue with the booting up. I don't know if that's related, but it's a new "feature", and it's annoying.

I spent much of yesterday cleaning up the house (now that no new messes are being created), doing laundry (now that very little dirty laundry is being generated), and downloading music that has no right being in the iTunes collection of a 35 year old married male (now that very little respectable music is being created): songs by Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, and Chris Brown. To follow that up, Amy and Gill came over to watch a chick flick. A dirty chick flick. The only thing missing from my day yesterday was that I didn't get my nails buffed and polished.

Today, I tried to make up for it by walking to the harware store, only to find it closed at 1:45, despite the sign indicating Sunday hours to be between 10:00 and 2:00. It was a good walk, however, and I got to check out the neighbourhood. Holy crap are there some nice houses. Had I brought my camera, I would have posted some photos. As it is, you can experience my walk on google maps streetview and see what I mean. I stopped in to talk to Comic Book Guy, just next door to the hardware store, but found him to be a little less Asperger's than the typical Comic Book Guy, whose scorn can only be avoided by being familiar with the six forms of Manga. (I just made that last part up. What I know of manga comes from watching Battle of the Planets AKA G-Force in 1979).
So I am now on the computer checking on the correctness of my intuition that smoked paprika would go well on salmon. Indeed, it seems that it will, though if you check out the steps included in the recipe, step four seems rather bizarre:

4. Roast the salmon in the oven for 10 minutes. Check for doneness, but find that it is not quite ready. Cook it for a few more minutes.

Can you imagine if all instructions directed you to screw up and then fix the problem?

  • Open box. Take out printer

  • Plug printer into computer. Get error message about not plugging in printer until drivers are installed.

  • Unplug printer. Install drivers.

  • Plug printer in again. Realize that you didn't insert the ink cartridges. Unplug printer...

0 comments: