Monday, December 14, 2009

The Holiday Spirit


My holidays begin tonight. Sort of. At the very least, I won't be in at work for the next few weeks, but as the department is pretty empty as it is with the students gone home for the holidays, I'm not going to be missing much. Just in time for the holidays, my mp3 player has frozen up on How Soon is Now, and I'm hoping that the battery runs down and that I can recharge it in time for when I leave the house tomorrow morning. I'd pop the battery out so that it has to reboot just like I do with my laptop when it goes all squirrely, however the the battery isn't accessible because the device has been designed to be disposable: by the time the Li-ion battery needs replacing, the thing will be obsolete. I know, it sucks that this is how things are made.

I took the long way home today because I had just missed a shuttle bus, and I calculated that it would take me just as long to walk home as to wait for the next shuttle. This way, I got a bit of exercise and investigated a few streets I don't normally walk down. Most interesting was this house, apparently a landmark house built in 1931, with really interesting oversized christmas tree ornaments:






I love the holiday season, when houses are decorated all festively for Christmas, or in anticipation of the Chanukah Smackdown Miracle, when Barrie Horrowitz brought the smackdown for one night, but there was enough smackdown to last for eight action-packed nights. You haven't seen anything until you've witnessed the awesome destruction wrought by a gefilte fish smuggled into the ring.

Chanukah Smackdown with Gefilte Fish

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It's true gefilte fish can be pretty deadly in more ways than you think.