Sunday, December 27, 2009

Pariahs

No Hulu. Can't buy mp3s from Amazon. No academic pricing offers online from Lenovo. Why do we get the shaft up here in Canada? I had no idea that getting in at a .edu institution was going to be so lucrative - I can use my VPN connection to Northwestern to access all those verboten electronic resources while in Canada. And my .edu email account just let me purchase a Thinkpad X301 loaded up with MS Orfice and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional for under $2K, all in, saving me $1K. I hope this doesn't count as a taxable benefit. Ooh, taxes. I wonder if I can claim this. The prospect of filing taxes in two countries this spring makes me quite anxious. If any of my readers has any advice or reassuring words, please comment.

And for those of you who have been following my journey, I was able to use my Bank of America Visa debit card, which will get me another 2% cash back. I'll have to drop a line to Capital One and tell them I have everything under control, no thanks to them.

0 comments: