Sunday, August 9, 2009

More Comcast hijinks

The story so far: I booked a Wednesday 8-11am installation appointment with Comcast. 11 am came and went, with no technician. I called at 1 to ask WTF and the call center rep told us that a technician had come at 8:20 but nobody answered. That seemed strange because we have an obnoxiously loud doorbell and there were 4 adults in the house, at least two of which (Erin and I) are light sleepers (don't judge, we had arrived at 2:30 am, just 5 and a half hours earlier, following an 8 hour drive from London). However the rep also mentioned some additional information, specifically, that the second floor of the house had birch trim, that suggested a screw-up. Our house, you see, is a ranch-style house, and therefore HAS no second floor. A second appointment was booked, and, as you can surmise, we now have our Comcast services installed.

Now, when I initially contacted Comcast, they told me what my phone number would be, that is, once the service had been installed. Thereafter, contacting Comcast regarding our account involved providing the last 4 digits of the phone number, which I presume is used to look up the account information. I discovered this morning, upon hearing from my in-laws that their attempts to call us were unsuccessful, that our phone number was incorrectly relayed to me when I ordered the service; the last four digits were transposed from ABCC to ACBB. Fortunately, we have not yet given our number out to many people, though I still have to notify the movers yet again of a phone number change. I'm not sure if that explains the bungled installation attempt, though it also makes me wonder how they ever arrived at the correct address at all. I hope you do not find me writing an entry in a few months time about how we're paying for someone else's account and vice versa (unless, of course, it's to report that we're currently enjoying some kind of deluxe package for the price of the basic package).

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I take comfort in the fact that cable company incompetence knows no borders. And will update my phone book on my phone.