Saturday, August 22, 2009

Biblical portions

This morning started very early for me -- even earlier if you count the several times I awoke following persistent nightmares about some indestructible agent of death. So, relying primarily on my brain stem, I accompanied Amy, Jenni and Rachna to the downtown campus for a relatively abbreviated scanning session. We finished before 1 o'clock and Amy and Jenni were willing to accompany me to a children's furniture warehouse so I could look at bunk beds. I had checked out the public transportation route on google maps, but, well, just check out the google street view and tell me what you think about taking a stroll in this industrial ghetto.

By the time we finished up, we were pretty famished. In trying to locate a sushi restaurant we had passed earlier, we found ourselves in Greektown and settled on a restaurant there. Did you know that the earliest new testament manuscripts were written in Greek? Modern bibles contain many mistranslations or misinterpretations of the original text ('virgin', for example was used at the time to describe any unmarried woman). A lesser known mistranslation can be found in John 4:14. Whereas the modern text refers to an eternal spring of water welling up inside you, I believe the original greek text may have been referring to the gyros we had at lunch. I swear, I may never have to eat again.

0 comments: