Friday, May 15, 2009

Slow on the uptake

Today began round 2 of painting. I tackled the bedroom-turned-office at around lunch time. It's 9:15 and I'm waiting to apply the second and final coat of paint. All this time I have been listening to mp3s from my laptop, over speakers from my disassembled computer. As I mentioned in that 25 things about me Facebook meme, most of the songs in CBC Go's show featuring the Gayest Songs of all time appear in my mp3 collection. It wasn't until earlier this week that it occurred to me that one of those songs, Freedom '90 seems to be where the artist, George Michael, came out of the closet. To be clear, I was aware before this week that I have a better shot with George Michael than most women; he achieved some degree of notoriety after that well-publicized incident in a LA washroom. But that wasn't until 1998. But a full eight years earlier, the artist released Freedom '90 with the following lyrics:

I think there's something you should know
I think it's time I told you so
There's something deep inside of me
There's someone else I've got to be

I often assure people that "nothing gets by me". Except that, I suppose. How did I miss that? It must have been that red herring of a music video, featuring the hottest supermodels of the time.

You know, this painting is depressing. All that money spent on professional painters, and my own time spent painting the smaller rooms, knowing that the first thing the new owners will do will be to paint over everything.

0 comments: