Friday, May 22, 2009

I got the big poo-poo from my aunt on talking about my hair. I know, it's pretty edgy stuff, so she might have to switch over to Fifty-Five Plus magazine and read up on what's new in hip replacements. Zing!

I kid, of course. She's a few years away from joining that demographic. I won't go on about how awesome she is, except to say that she's awesome enough to take a good ribbing. And maybe awesome enough to let me ride her motorcycle the next time I'm up that way.

All this is padding on what is otherwise a very short note about a phone call I just received on my cell phone. It was a long-distance call from 706-913-2861. I didn't know this until I looked it up afterwards, but that's a San Diego area code. Unfortunately, when I answered, I was greeted by an automated "Congratulations..." message, which, as a telephone solicitation to a cell phones, is illegal. I hung up immediately, so I didn't get to find out what I had won, though I imagine it to be a vacation. I seem to be on a winning streak for those things, as I have won at least 3 vacations in the last month. I've never played along with one of those offers long enough to find out how they rip you off, though screwing around with con-artists passes for fun with me. I had an opportunity earlier this week to do just that, after Amy forwarded me a craigslist ad for a TGTBT rental in Evanston. The reply I received from the email left little doubt that it was one of those craigslist scams: the writer blessed me multiple times (seriously, why do spammers always end their emails with "God Bless"?); despite holding an academic position in London, England, the writer was unable to string together a coherent English sentence; and he was extremely eager to get my $700 deposit.

Hopefully Kathy finds this one at least somewhat more interesting. If not, I'm going to have to do something drastic like follow through with my intention to browbeat Rogers into extending my 15% bundled services discount until August.

0 comments: