Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Form feed

I was delighted to learn today that mine was one of "many excellent applications" for a certain academic position at a fine institution that rhymes with mooniversity of moronto. I would take some comfort in knowing that "the committee's review was not an easy one" ... except that, as I wasn't called for an interview, presumably the decision was fairly straightforward in my case. I had already written off the possibility of getting that job a couple months ago, when I learned that they had begun the job talks for the position, so what I am expressing here isn't bitterness at not getting the job (cognitive dissonance had helped me deal with that back in January). Rather, I guess I am just expressing some minor annoyance that I suppose everyone must get when they receive a form letter that is so generic that it doesn't even seem to apply.

P.S., their letterhead is the ugliest thing I have ever seen on a document that did not involve a photocopier and someone's ass.

P.P.S., The dissonance effect to which I refer is the psychological phenomenon, and not the kickass band from the early 2000's

0 comments: