Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jelly Belly

Regrettably, I have just finished the last of John's pear jelly. I am also dreading the day that I finish the last of the mulled crabapple jelly that I made from last fall's crabapple crop from the tree in my parents' back yard. Had I not wrecked the first batch that I made (too few apples, leading to insufficient pectin for the syrup to gel), I may have been able to be a little more generous with my crabapple jelly, but as it was, I made just enough to give away 3 jars and keep 2 for myself, and have been hoarding the last jar for some while. Unless I find alternative arrangements, it's going to have to last me awhile longer because both logistical and natural considerations are working against me this year: I am extremely unlikely to within 600 km of the tree when the apples are ready this fall, and even if I was, the tree seems to be under some kind of stress that caused it to not really blossom this spring. Because there is a 1-to-1 correspondence between blossom and fruit, it's unlikely to have many crabapples to offer this fall anyways.

Sorry the post wasn't especially funny. But as a member of Blogger Local 120, I can't shy away from hard-hitting topics like toast condiments just because they're difficult or controversial.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

There other crab apples trees, often blight free, located many places. The internet even knows of some of them. This claims of trees in a park in Chicago:
http://www.growinginchicago.com/2009/05/crab-apples-and-other-memories-of-hyde.html

Highland Park (just north of Evanston) claims to have plenty of trees in their town/city.

My mom's pear tree is looking a little low on pears this year, but I am still optimistic for more jelly AND canning some pears again this year. All those will be rhubarb free for your enjoyment.