Thursday, July 2, 2009

Crash and BURN!

MSWord just crashed on me while I was searching for clipart to help out Martin's brother, Justin, on a project. I sent an error report and received thanks and an invitation to click on a link for a solution to the problem. I clicked the link, which brought me to a page suggesting that I upgrade from Office 2002 to the newest version. Always wanting to be helpful, I provided feedback on the helpfulness of the suggestion.

Was the suggestion helpful? Not particularly. Was the information incorrect? No, not really. It's just that, if your program crashes, and your solution is to stop using the software and instead switch to a newer version, you're omitting an alternative, practically equivalent solution, which is to stop using the software and switch to an alternative product, such as OpenOffice. Just sayin' is all. I'm not sure if they'll incorporate my feedback in their help page.

0 comments: