Thursday, July 9, 2009

{} (Empty Set)

Given how clever entry titles like "sexy elderly" seem to be attracting reader with a certain je ne sais quoi (actually, je sais quoi: une -- comment est-ce qu'on dit "girlfriend"?), I decided to go with an entry title which might randomly pull in a different sort of crowd, thereby improving the math-geek to perv ratio among my readership.

Today's title relates to the ongoing -- no, scratch that. Nothing has been going on, which is the problem. I have a problem with the display on my IBM Thinkpad. I have been in the habit of purchasing 3-year extended warranties on notebook computers because that's the useful lifespan of the type of notebook that I tend to purchase; after about 3 years, I find I start contemplating a newer, more capable computer anyways. When I called the Lenovo customer service number, the fellow with the southern drawl to whom I spoke on the phone was extremely helpful. Being still under warranty, I had the option of boxing it up and sending it out or going to a local service depot, for which I was given two phone numbers. Unfortunately, one of those companies no longer does notebook repairs for Lenovo/IBM (nor are they in London anymore, as far as I can tell). That leaves the inappropriately-named Attache Group -- inappropriately named, because, as far as I can tell, the group comprises one person. One person who must be on vacation, because I have reached his voice mailbox every day for the last week. When I do finally reach him, I'm going to suggest he change the company name to Attache Guy or something else more reflective of his company.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your title seems to imply that {0} is the empty set. How can the empty set have an item in it? Unless you are trolling for math-geeks to flame in your comments (or just shake their heads disapprovingly and move on, never to return - though I suppose you leave open what exactly would improve the math-geek:perv ratio so perhaps that is what you are shooting for), you obviously should have {} as the empty set.

Don't they teach discrete math in at least one of those fancy learnin' degrees you have?

(and don't even think about starting up with whether 0 is a number, as the set need not be numbers)

Chris said...

Yeah, um, I composed the entry, got in the car, and then (just to illustrate how the mind wanders when you drive) I realized at the corner of Sarnia and Wonderland that I was merging two notations: Ø and {}. Naturally, I figured either you or Morgan would pick up on the mistake. But thanks for balancing out the geek to perv ratio.

effamy said...

ha ha poor chris, neither an expert perv nor an expert geek. i guess that makes you okay. i already left my comment on fb (i really do hate macs' patronizing OS), i just wanted to say that the picture you have for your profile pic here is absolutely sickeningly gorgeous. that is all.