Friday, July 24, 2009

Bacon

If you're serious about crispy bacon, here's what you need to do:


  1. Set your oven to to 425°F. There is no need to wait for it to preheat

  2. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet

  3. Place a cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet

  4. Lay strips of bacon across the cooling rack and put in an unheated oven

  5. Place the cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the bacon looks cooked (I just did cooked bacon this way, and by the time the oven had reached 425, the bacon was cooked, but I didn't pay attention to the time)


I did some internet-based research on crispy bacon, and concluded that the secret is to render out the fat, which fast frying doesn't do very well. The relatively slow cooking in the oven, combined with preventing the bacon from wallowing in its own fat seems to do the trick. Incidentally, this is how my mother-in-law cooks bacon. It's awesome. Now, if you will excuse me, I will go make myself a BLT.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Eats - Scrap Iron Chef episode had this (though Alton say 400°F), along with the next step in getting serious about bacon... curing and smoking your own. My last batch is quite delicious.

Chris said...

You are extremely serious about bacon. That's why we get along so well

Incidentally, we are 1/3 through the last full season. It is damn funny