Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pillow Talk

Did I ever mention the time that Rebecca told me off in her sleep? That's why she isn't allowed to have chicken wings after 8:00. Sleep talking seems to have a genetic component, because Jude talks in his sleep too. He first did it at age two, when his distressed exclamation of "marshmallows!" gave me some insight into his tormented mind. He hadn't even seen Ghostbusters by that time.

The silence of the pre-dawn hours was broken a couple mornings ago when Jude exclaimed "yoink!" in his sleep (as it happened, I was laying awake with a case of the Mirandas, watching the room lighten). I asked him later on at breakfast what he dreamed about, expecting his usual response of "cars" (referring to the Pixar movie of the same name), but instead, to my amazement, he replied that he dreamed about taking something.

So Jude is the perfect melding of Rebecca and I: Rebecca's crazy sleep talking tendency meets my study of jurisprudence. I've already heard him claim that "if your friends don't dance then they're no friends of mine" while taking a bath, so all indicators would suggest that we're doing a fine job as parents.

0 comments: