Friday, April 23, 2010

I have already taken the position that air transport security has enough holes as to be pointless, though I have recently come to the conclusion that it is also unneeded. Going through security, I was told that I could only have 3 pieces of carry-on. I had a backpack containing my computer and a million electronic gadgets, a soft duffel containing my shirts and panties, and a rigid plastic poster tube containing a 3.5' x 6' roll of paper. That's three pieces. Before I could get irate that it was going to cost me $15 to check a roll of paper, the security officer told me that I could stick my backpack into my duffel with an implied wink. So I'm not sure what the point of that exercise was. I'm also not sure that it's impossible for a bomber to obtain a prescription for over 100 ml of liquid to circumvent that particular restriction either. It was when I had a pair of crappy nail clippers confiscated that it occurred to me that all this nonsense is completely unneeded. Sure, maybe back in the 80's, if an airplane got hijacked, there was a good bet that the hijacker planned to land the plane. Now? First thing that will go through anyone's mind is 9-11. Even if the hijacker has a firearm, I'd take my chances with a gunshot wound over hitting a building, and I'd bet you'd find at least a dozen other guys over 180 lbs on any given flight thinking the same way. How many rounds are in a clip? 13? So what the hell am I going to do with a nail clipper? How about we dial down the threat level, and if anything comes up, let the mob deal with it? As it was, I got quite the hassle with my leather toiletry bag both coming and going. As he was swabbing down my toothpaste, the security guy helpfully suggested that I make sure I pack my deodorant (a solid) along with the rest of my liquids and gels. I guarantee that the next time I travel I most certainly will not take his advice. I needed that extra time to get dressed again after going through the screening.

0 comments: