Thursday, December 18, 2008

Out of the frying pan

Yesterday I finally got myself to see the family doctor. I brought Jude along too because we've both been afflicted by some sort of contagion for the last 3 weeks, with Jude's most troubling symptom being that he coughs until he hacks up a lung and throws up at least once daily. Me, I also had a cough, but my coughing-fu is much more advanced. In the end I was prescribed some antibiotics, and Jude was left to suck it up, as the doctor figured he's just been suffering from a series of viral infections by way of the germ spawning ground known as preschool. Ironic (coincidental?) thing is that shortly after I left the doctor's office, I noticed that my lungs felt clear for the first time since I defended 3 weeks ago. However, I also noticed the onset of a head cold at the same time. So I'm back to feeling miserable, and my nose is red, despite my strict adherence to the policy of using Puffs lotion-imbued facial tissue.

Speaking of contagion, I have just started reading The Andromeda Strain, by the late Michael Crichton (if you have invited him to anything, he will in fact be very late). This book is going by much more easily than the unabridged original version of Sense and Sensibility, which, most liberally, makes use of needless commas; semicolons as well. I meant to read a Cole's notes version, or Wikipedia entry on the book so I could get my head around what the hell was going on.

Now, off to the rings and blankets party. My contribution is less than stellar, and I can't taste it (or anything, for that matter). I appeal to my illness, should anyone choose to judge me.

1 comments:

effamy said...

This happens to everyone when their kid starts school (ask Paul M.). The best part? It'll happen again when the next one is sent off to be with other kids...Lasts up until the last kid is in about grade four or five. It's strange to think how many colds/flus I would get when the kids were in elementary (it was easier to count the days we weren't sick) compared to now (so far, just this one stomach bug, and last year only one mild cold). Enjoy!