Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Paradigm shift

Jude continues to grow up, and with that comes the end of nighttime daddy. Starting some time last week, when Jude would wake up in the middle of the night, I, instead of mommy, would go to his room to comfort him. This lets mommy get a better night's sleep. Me, I don't sleep well to begin with, so it doesn't seem to matter much. The first few nights, he was difficult. He has come to expect different types of comforting from each of us, and my role is as the guy who bounces him on an exercise ball, putting him to sleep, and strengthening my core and quad muscles simultaneously. Except 3am is not generally when I want to be working out. The first few nights of this, he was difficult. This is because he would fall asleep while I was bouncing him, but would wake up again either when putting him down, or shortly thereafter, and want to be bounced to sleep again. He would throw a fit when I refused, but it appears he has since come to learn that this gets him nowhere. So for the past couple of nights everyone has gotten a decent night's sleep.

Completely unrelated thought: I wonder how often people find themselves in a career path that they really didn't intend to follow and would rather not be in, but find themselves stuck because it's too late to go do something else.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I suspect, though perhaps just to comfort myself, that people find themselves in assorted career paths that would match your description quite frequently.

I have no idea how I ended up in this racket I am involved with, and while I believe it is not too late to alter direction, that change would require additional changes to my non-career path I am not willing to make. For those who have other people entwined in their lives, changing course is probably all the more difficult - though more because of responsibility than it being "too late".

There is also the factor of knowing what that something else could be...