Monday, June 9, 2008

Karma

Last week, I had ordered the final bits (the motherboard, for those who care) for my new computer. This was to fill the void left when the company from whom I bought the other bits (tigerdirect.ca) failed to notify me that the motherboard I had ordered from them was never going to arrive. That evening, I placed an order for a similar motherboard from another Canadian online computer bits store, directcanada.com, who had good prices and promised fast shipping. At the end of the order process, an email arrived instructing me to click some sort of link so I could receive a phone call with a verification PIN. At this point, it was late, and Jude was asleep so I decided not to go through this phone call step and to just go to bed. The next morning, I checked my order status to find it was not yet complete, and I took this to mean that it was still waiting for me to initiate the phone call step. I figured by this point, it might be just faster to by the item locally, so and after I went with Jenny to transfer over her gym membership, I went out and bought the critically missing computer piece. I spent the next day installing software and just after I got everything 'just so', the doorbell rings. Purolator. With the motherboard that I thought was in stasis. What the heck am I going to do with this thing? The motivation behind this blog entry is that after I contacted directcanada.com and explained the situation, I received an apology for the confusion and an offer to pay for the return shipping and refund the purchase. I decided that because I didn't get the screwing over that I anticipated, and because their shipping was so ridiculously fast, that I would favourably mention them in a public forum. I have no need for it now, but the next time I need to buy some computer bits, directcanada.com will probably be the first place I check.

Why all the hyperlinks? Blogger is owned by google. And hyperlinks factor in to (or at least, they did once upon a time) search engine rankings. So if someone googles directcanada.com, this should show up near the top. At least, that's my theory. And perhaps I can be faulted for having theories about search engine rankings.

0 comments: