Monday, November 12, 2007

N V

This computer will soon go offline for a little while as I install Fedora 8 (currently running Fedora 6). Normally, I wouldn't be in any particular hurry to upgrade, however I downloaded the latest version of AFNI (the software I use to do fMRI analysis) and it no longer seems to work. Plus, the latest version of Fedora is codenamed Werewolf, which is really cool.

Did you see that? I was being ironic just then. But seriously, they have added a feature that will download codecs, which are bits of software your computer needs to play back multimedia files. Now I understand it is still limited to the one required for .mp3 playback, but it's a step in the right direction. I don't know why I don't just install Ubuntu, which I hear is better all-around at accepting the reality that people are going to publish media files using whatever software they have available and know how to use (news flash: when CNN hires some DeVry graduate to convert some video for online presentation, they will let him use the same software package that the school taught him to use, because that just makes sense. I doubt many linux-hackers that are familiar with Ogg-Vorbis are to be found doing such menial tasks).

And also, in addition to the missing tea balls, I am missing my Ikea coffee/tea steeper, which is considerably bulkier and one would think much more difficult to lose. It was my backup plan for making loose tea. I am at a loss for why the tea gods are smiting me.

0 comments: