Friday, November 16, 2007

Going postal

I'll give you three guesses as to what I got in the mail today. Those of you who are aware that Revenue Canada has reassessed me at least twice a year for the last five or six years only get one guess. I do not generally identify with the Conservative party. However, their election platform included one item that I could get behind: income from scholarships was no longer to be taxed. As last year's income came primarly from my NSERC scholarship, I felt like I was getting away with something when I filed my taxes in April. Except when it's Revenue Canada you're dealing with, you can be sure you won't get away with anything. Even if the country's taxation policy says you can. For some reason, some jackass in Winnipeg decided that, in my case, my NSERC scholarship is taxable. Is coin-flip now part of Revenue Canada's taxation arsenal?
Can someone please come up with a reason that I should even bother filing my taxes? I mean, if they are just going to make shit up and tell me I owe them some random amount of money anyways...
Amy thought I should apply for the Canada Research Chair position in Winnipeg. I emailed her today and told her that it is best that I don't live in Winnipeg. If I did, I would be on the news by now. It wouldn't be pretty. I look forward to updating on Monday, after someone at their call center has a really bad day. I'll try to go easy on them though. Unless they can put me through to the clown who's responsible for this idiocy. Oh, I hope they can do that! This may come as a surprise, but I can be really snippy.

0 comments: