Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Conference Crashers

Later this month, Rebecca, Jude and I are tentatively scheduled to meet up with our friends Krista, Brett & family (formerly of Rochester fame) in Toronto at the Delta Chelsea. Brett is a faculty member at OSU - Cincinnati, and I believe that academic business brings him up to Toronto. The hotel is downtown, so it's a bit pricier than, say, a motel room on the highway. So as I was washing the kitchen floor this afternoon, I was thinking about this upcoming stay, when those thoughts mingled with some details about the CogSci '08 conference, the website for which I have been charged with building. It occurred to me that conferences often book large swaths of rooms, and the conference-goers enjoy a discounted rate when staying at the hotel. For the CogSci conference, for example, one should mention they are with the CogSci conference when booking at the Omni hotel in Washington, so that they can get the discount. Of course, conference web pages get indexed by Google, so it seemed to me that finding a conference going on at a hotel that you plan on staying at anyways might be trivially easy.

Incidentally, if you plan on staying at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto on the 23rd, a travel advisory association will be convening there that day.

0 comments: