Friday, May 14, 2010

It's a wrap.

Another manifestation of my need for orderliness (or perhaps more aptly described as a desire to become one who is more orderly, as a glance at my desk shows me to be anything but orderly) is my recent compulsion to bundle up cords. My particular flavour of geekiness is one that entails electronic gadgets (as opposed to a geekiness that entails boxes of comic books or baseball cards, or one that entails a display case for manga robot models). Most of these gadgets have at least a power cord, and most have other cords that allow them to connect to other gadgets. That's alot of cords. I have a rubbermaid container full of cords, many of them from gadgets that have since died, or superfluous cords that I keep "just in case" (I have, from time-to-time raided this collection, so it's not exactly pathological hoarding). I one day found myself in the local ACE Hardware shop, looking for lightbulbs, when I found a roll of velcro cord ties. My laptop power adapter cord came with one, and it's brilliant, so I bought a package (not the $70 package to which I linked -- I think that's for a bulk order).


I have since been going around the house, putting the damn things on anything that's flexible, and longer than it is wide. Our appliances and electronics are now neatly stowed, but if you come and visit, make sure you don't have anything hanging out, because I've still got three-quarters of a roll of these things left.

0 comments: