Monday, May 24, 2010

Is this seat taken?

Not long ago, I wrote about how Rebecca and I went out on a date that began with a visit to the Art Institvte of Chicago (the 'v' is not a typo - that's how they spell it in their logo. It must be a remnant of the Roman empire). I only briefly mentioned the dinner at a Japanese restaurant, which was sublime. The layout of the restaurant was a bit odd though, as it was basically just one area with a grid of tables set up much like I remember our desks were arranged in grade school (row game, anyone?).

Of course, that particular arrangement might have just been the best way to maximize seating capacity, as they combined and detached individual tables as required, depending on the size of the arriving groups. At one point, however, they must have had a run of single women (or, more precisely, women dining singly), because I looked around to see Rebecca and I were together in a sea of single tables, each seating only one female diner. If there were to be anything gained from doing so, I thought it would have been a funny prank to go to each of the tables and sit down and act like it was a speed dating event.

0 comments: