Monday, May 10, 2010

I did well in school, mostly getting by on my really good memory. I wouldn't call it photographic, exactly, except for that one time when I wrote a marketing final exam and swore I was able to answer a question by reading a recollection of a page from the textbook (though I may have also gotten the question wrong, because my recollection was almost certainly a fabrication). Regardless, my memory used to be quite good. Now, not so much - or at least that's what I thought until today. It's not that I think my memory has improved. Rather, it occurred to me today that there's a really good reason behind my constantly misplacing things. No, it's not lack of sleep, though that's probably a contributing factor. Today I couldn't find the tomato paste, while I was making dinner. I remembered taking it out of the pantry, but somewhere between the pantry and the kitchen (8 linear feet) I misplaced it. When I finally did find the can of tomato paste, on top of the television, I had a flash of insight about my apparent memory deficit, which, by all appearances, was starting to look like early onset Alzheimer's dementia: I've been leaving items all over the bloody place because I am always having to drop what I am doing (sometimes literally) because my youngest child has absolutely no sense of self-preservation. And as for the tomato paste on top of the television? Asher was standing up in the bed of a Tonka dump truck.

1 comments:

effamy said...

boy number two in my family also had/has a fearlessness which struck fear in me. i can pretty much guarantee more trips to emergency, urgent care for bio-two over boy-one.