Monday, February 1, 2010

Fore thought

Rebecca ordered the Wii Fit Plus over a week ago. We've come to expect ridiculously fast deliveries, so we were somewhat puzzled when, by Sunday, it hadn't yet arrived. And then Rebecca asked, "what's that box?", referring to a box sitting near the front door. So we could have been getting all super slim since Thursday, I think. The box was opened up and the floor sensor set up right away but, as Rebecca and Amy were leaving on a shopping expedition, that left me with a couple of hours to play around with it. And what I found was surprising: keeping in mind that there are certainly more advanced measurement devices that cost much more money, as far as the Wii can tell, there is no room for improvement in my golf swing, and the game told me as much, going so far as to suggest that I go out to a real driving range. The irony is that I hate golf. My experience with the sport is limited to mini-putt (a pass-time at which I am mediocre at best); I have never been to a driving range. And yet this stupid game is going to convince me that I'd probably be really good at it. Now, I'm extremely competitive, so getting this kind of crap feedback is going to cause some serious approach-avoidance conflict. As if I need another money-sink.

0 comments: