Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feeling Blue

I had just clicked on one of my ancient bookmarks and found that the site to which it lead hasn't changed since I first bookmarked it. Such websites are called stale, and if you want people to come back to your website, you had best be sure it does not become stale. And, as your reading this blog marks the fine line between me being a producer in the new media economy and a crazy person who talks to himself, I am somewhat obliged to keep coming up with new material; in that sense, blogging is much like treading water.

I write this entry under the influence of Labatt Blue, a Canadian Pilsener that the record shows that I rather dislike. Unfortunately, our home-country themed olympics party required that I buy the only Canadian beer at the local Dominick's (a regional grocery store chain), where I also discovered that Montreal smoked meat isn't a universal staple. Alas, I had to think outside of the box, because I wasn't about to make poutine, and opted to make pastrami on rye sandwiches because none of the other diners have ever had a genuine Montreal smoked meat sandwich, and that's the closest I could get.

So I feel that I have done my part for today, and that perhaps its time for the Canadian readers to give back, because when people think of quintessential Canadian cuisine, the only thing that comes up is poutine and pancakes with maple syrup -- and Labatt Blue, for which I have absolutely no taste and will have 9 bottles for the foreseeable future.

0 comments: