Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Undesirables

I only applied to one school this year, but I found this morning that they had no need for me. The upside for y'all is that this year's self-pity season is mercifully short. This next year should be pretty productive though, so I should hopefully rock the next round of applications.

I was in London this past weekend, catching up with some friends, and watching the grand finale of a fine olympic season. For the two weeks previous, Rebecca had the kids in London while she attended rehearsals for a big concert, surely nabbing her the title of the chorister with the longest commute. We talked over skype most evenings, though Jude was often in bed by the time we chatted, so I didn't see quite as much of him. On one occasion, however, he was still up when I called over. Despite not having seen me for a week, he wasn't interested in appearing on the computer. Rather, he was going about his business playing with his cars.

Playing cars with Jude is a structured event: when he asks you to play with him, he has a specific role in mind. In this particular instance, he wanted Rebecca to play 'Grifters' with him. He then went on to say how he wanted to be a grifter when he grows up. Fortunately, Rebecca pointed the camera down to where they were playing, so I was able to tell Rebecca what was going on: I'm not sure whether he learned the term from me, or possibly my brother-in-law X, who also humours Jude for seemingly endless hours playing cars, but it seems that Jude has developed an interest in drifting.

I'm not sure if that's much better than his becoming a grifter, but he sure as hell is not going to be taking my car anywhere unless I go with him. And I have got to be more careful in my creative play.

0 comments: