Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hunting high and low

I had wanted to write about this at the time, but in so doing, I'd be advertising to the world (as far South as Antarctica, I understand) that we were out of the house. I'm back from our rental expedition to Chicago, and everything went exceedingly well: we lucked into the most amazing rental opportunity since God spake to his chosen people and said, "Here, I've got this great Mediterranean property you might be interested in. Here's the rider and lease agreement. There's just 10 items on it, and the rent is free. Oh, and you'll also have to mow the grass." Of course, they never did write down the amendment "thou shalt provide thine own lawncare," so the 11th commandment was lost to the ages. Still, we have a heavily discounted rental in a high-rent neighbourhood, just a 5 minute walk from Amy. As another stroke of luck, it was just in the freeps today that direct flights between London and Chicago will be starting up at the end of September. I did a hypothetical online booking with United Airlines and found that the round trip ticket came to $380.The night that we wowed the property manager with our fantastic charisma (I'd put Asher's at 15 or higher) I received a phone call from our realtor that the sale was finalized, so, yay!

The next step will be to review the to-do list compiled by Graeme and Amy to find out what the heck I have to do over the next few weeks in order to have a smooth cross-border move.

0 comments: