Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Willie Wonka, PhD

What can you do with a degree in psychology? An age-old question, asked by an endless parade of newly minted university graduates. I think we have an academic counsellor on the 7th floor who will help answer that question. When I first graduated, at the height of the first internet bubble, my familiarization with cognitive psychology landed me my first big-boy job as an interface designer for a startup company with a web-based research project - sort of like an automated Google. But what will an advanced degree in psychology get you? Hopefully, for me, it will land me a tenured position at a university where I never again have to worry about working for a company that can't make payroll, or with micromanaging clients. However, I find it amusing that a PhD in cognitive neuroscience is also coveted by the people at Nestle in Switzerland (yes, the same Nestle that makes your cocoa powder).

I would it very amusing to have oompa loompas for research assistants. That, my friends, would be a tightly run lab.

0 comments: