Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On a diet

For the last few weeks -- let's say month and a half -- I have been on a grapefruit kick. I can't get enough of the things. Fortunately, Rebecca usually peels and defleshes (the underlines from Firefox's spellchecker1 is suggesting that defleshes is not a word) the segments, leaving behind only the good stuff. We have progressed from eating six to eating eight grapefruits in a week. I'd say I was on a grapefruit diet, except it would be completely untrue.

Fancy sidenote: when you have a plastic container full of grapefruit sections, it fills up at the bottom with grapefruit juice. I discovered that fresh grapefruit juice makes for a nice martini-ish type drink. This evening I mixed:
2 oz of some random Christmas gift exchange Japanese vodka-like alcohol (I'll have to ask Kaz what it was)
1 oz of Triple Sec
8 oz of grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed from some grapefruits that were not satisfactory for eating, but fine for juice
Had I only added a splash of lemon juice (or maybe peel for garnish?) then the drink would have been like marmalade.

Before I hit the publish post button, I realized I should also add that I made the drink to share with Rebecca. I am not a lush.

Finally, I would like to investigate this peanut butter and cheerios phenomenon that Miranda claims is il fait du yum. I am skeptical, but want to know more so I can give a justified opinion.

1The spellchecker also claims that spellchecker is not a word.

0 comments: