Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Phoning it in

I am presently in Wisconsin, just outside of Milwaukee, for an fMRI hands-on course. We're staying at a Holiday Inn Express, and yes, I kind of do feel smarter. Ken and I got back from dinner about 45 minutes ago. Ken was under the impression that it was about 1.6 miles from the medical center to the hotel. That figure, however, may be accurate only for cars that can drive on the highway, because experience on the treadmill has told me that I walk about 3.0 to 3.5 mph, and so 1.6 miles should have taken well under the 50 minutes that we took walking through what is basically an industrial park.

So that's basically just a journal update on one part of my day. The actual course is going along nicely. I learned a few things. I also got to skim over a few things, as pretty much all morning was spent discussing the intricacies of the unix-like shell environment on Mac OS X.

Oh, and the title? That's referring to what prompted me to jump over here for lack of anything else to do (Rebecca seems to be unavailable for chatting at the moment). I have the TV on right now. Nothing on, really. I had tuned into a PBS channel based on the title of a program appearing on that TV Guide channel. I think it was called Supernatural Science or something like that. Instead I am watching the Windows 95 Starfield screensaver on that station. No, I am not exaggerating. That is literally what is on TV: a bloody screensaver -- and possibly the most boring screensaver ever, at that. I think that really shows a lack of effort.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are in the United States of America. With the possible exception of New York City (and maybe Boston), walking is not permitted or encouraged. All journeys, regardless of length, are to be taken by automobile (which is why they will only in rare occasions include a sidewalk), preferably by SUV.