Thursday, March 24, 2011

Man Cold

I have a cold. A Man Cold.

The most debilitating part of it seems to have passed, though my sense of taste was briefly impaired last night when a bag of baby carrots started to taste like Thrills gum.



The one upside is that, while gathering materials for this short entry, I have learned why Thrills gum tastes the way it does. Doesn't explain the carrots, though. I still have about a pound of carrots to eat before the Saturday best before date. I'll not detail the outcome of that feat, however.

Inept Bureaucracy Update:
On Christine's recommendation, I went to the Wal-Green's to get Sudafed because that stuff is apparently pretty good at alleviating cold symptoms. Unfortunately, it's also pretty good at being a key component in Meth, and is therefore a controlled substance. It has to be purchased over the counter, and requires presentation of some form of ID. This information goes into some sort of haphazardly designed system, almost certainly easily circumvented by people who produce drugs, and is intended to prevent individuals from purchasing an excessive quantity of the product within a prescribed time period. As I have never before purchased Sudafed, I was surprised to find that I have already exceeded my allotment after presenting my Ontario driver's license. DeVry boasts a high placement rate after graduation; we now know where: Designing critical infrastructure. Who the hell failed to imagine that a non-US-citizen might have a head cold?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I once spent about half an hour in a drug store (Walgreens or CVS) in either Texas or California while they debated whether or not to sell me the medication, and then how they would go about doing it... they figured something out thankfully and I felt a bit better.