Friday, June 11, 2010

Detox

As you may know, I am seldom found without my tea. A recent large study published in Nature about the effects of caffeine seem to indicate that, far from being a pick-me-up, your daily cuppa serves only to bring you back to your normal baseline performance sans caffeine addiction. In other words, it's kind of like being superman, sticking kryptonite in your pants on a daily basis, just so that you can pull the rocks out of your shorts and feel like a million bucks. Okay, maybe comparing myself to superman is a bit self-aggrandizing. It's kind of like being the Green Lantern, and stuffing a yellow zucchini in your pants, et cetera.

So anyways, I inadvertently started detoxing last week when I went a day without having either caffeine or a caffeine headache, and decided to roll with it. Since then, I've been drinking either caffeine-free tea, or manually reducing the caffeine in my tea by first steeping the bag for about 15 seconds and then dumping the tea out. It seems to be working so far, though being stuck in the CAMRI basement today might make me fall off the wagon.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I read an article somewhat recently that was aimed at the premise of reducing the caffeine amount in tea by the method you describe. The study it referred to was attempting to debunk the claim and while there were some issues with the data extrapolation process, it did call the premise of substantial caffeine reduction into question. Obviously, it will reduce the amount somewhat, but the amount of the reduction was not as great as the urban legend would have us believe.

Perhaps Mythbusters could take this on... if there is someway to work an explosion into the testing.