Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Global Warming

I have so far resisted the call to post some unspecified number of random factoids about myself on facebook. It's not that I am poo-pooing the idea -- in fact, I probably will come up with a similar list before too long. It's just that I'm going to wait until I have collected a number of pings before I do so. Plus, if I wait until it dies down a little bit, I'll have more time to think of some shocking things to reveal, and my list can get the full and undivided attention it deserves.

Oh, and the title of this blog entry? I have seen a number of remarks on the interwebs about the insane amount of snow we've had this winter that insinuate that perhaps this global warming thing is overblown. I don't know how to say this without coming off as a know-it-all jerk, so I'll just go out and say it: those people don't know what they're talking about. Aside from the issue of variance, when it's colder, snow freezes into smaller crystals that pack more tightly together when it falls. When it's warmer (but still at or below freezing), snow freezes into larger crystals that clump together into big honkin' flake clusters that form big poofy snow piles when they fall. Warmer winter = higher piles of snow. QED.

0 comments: