Friday, January 9, 2009

F+

I failed at pizza. The other day I used a pizza kit to try to make a 'homemade' pizza. The kit, I believe produced by Kraft, contained a pizza dough flour mix (just add water and let it rise), tomato sauce, some dried herbs (just oregano, I think) and Parmesan cheese. I've tried to make a pizza crust from scratch before. I sucked then too. I can make the dough well enough. My problem is in taking the ball of risen dough and turning it into a pizza crust. I can't make a round flat crust without overworking the dough, which I think undoes the rising process by pressing all the CO2 out. I can't get the crust uniformly thick, either. Instead I get some spots that are way too thick, and others that are thin to the point of becoming holes. It's all very frustrating, and nothing like I must have learned from television in my childhood with the throwing spinning disks of dough into the air. On one hand, I could avoid all that frustration by giving up and just buying the ready-made crusts from the store. But then I'd never learn how to do it, and it bugs me that I can't figure it out. If anyone can show me how to make a proper pizza crust, I'd be happy to apprentice.

0 comments: