Monday, September 22, 2008

Stuff and Junk

Today on my way to the bus stop, I was intercepted by a guy handing out religious pamphlets. Unfortunately, he wasn't a Jehova's Witness, so I didn't get a copy of the Watchtower to help complete my anticipated Hallowe'en costume, but I held on to it nonetheless. The bus was a little bit late in arriving, so I opened it up to see what sort of slant this particular publication had. It was an assortment of New Testament verses grouped together under summary headings, such as Redemption Only Through Jesus Christ, and God's Mercy. I found the heading on page 5 to be sort of funny: Some Miracles Jesus Did -- I think it was their use of the word some, which to me makes it read like a catch-all "here's some other stuff and junk". I don't know, maybe I'll be the only person who thinks this is funny. Except John. He'll probably think it's funny too. He's like that. He always laughs inappropriately.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are correct, I found that statement of theirs very amusing and had leapt to the 'stuff and junk' before you got there... and for some reason found the use of the word 'did' amusing, as it adds to the nonchalance of it... 'performed' would have fancied it up.

Perhaps we should offer to copy edit future pamphlets for them, to help them better recruit people.

"Selected miracles performed by our lord Jesus" would be my suggestion... or we could dumb down the other headings...