Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Not just fat. EXfat!

This is for my own benefit, in case I have to do this again. It seems the Facebook blog importer has crapped out again for the last several weeks anyways. See my disclaimer at the bottom. You are excused from reading further.

I got exfat support on my Ubuntu 10.04 PC today by first:

Adding the exfat package from here
Then adding automount support as described here

Why would anyone want to do this? exfat is a filesystem that's increasingly the default on external media. It supports large files, which is more important now than, say, 10 years ago. Consequently, it's supported by Windows 7, OS X and (with a little work) Linux. Since I use all 3 of these OSes, I needed a filesystem for my external hard drives that can be recognized by all of my computers (I found the free NTFS mounter for OS X to be sometimes buggy - I'm pretty sure it was once responsible for the loss of the contents of my external drive).

Anyways, that is all. If you read this far, you must have been googling exfat and linux or something like that. Or else you're Ryan, Marc or John. Or maybe you're just having problems sleeping. Sorry about that. It happens to me too.

1 comments:

Chris said...

Update: After doing this, also check the symbolic link in /lib/:
check that
/lib/libblkid.so.1 -> /lib/libblkid.so.1.1.0

For whatever reason (possibly after a system update, or maybe it never pointed there in the first place) the symlink was pointing to the .backup version of the file, and my external drives stopped automounting (if it never pointed to the new file in the first place, it's weird that the automounting ever worked at all. Nonetheless, it stopped automounting, but fixing the symlink fixed the problem).