Monday, October 10, 2011

DIY

I was just thinking how I'm a DIY kind of guy. Part of it has to do with my personality (I like to be self-sufficient), but there's also a pride thing -- or at the very least a storyteller thing to it. It's nice, after all, to say, "yeah, this deck, my brother-in-law and I built it over a couple of weekends two summers ago. It would have been built in one weekend but I stepped on a rusty nail and had to go to emerge' and get a tetanus shot in the arse." If you don't do it yourself, your story is going to be much shorter: "yeah, this deck, I paid a guy named Hank $3500 to build it last summer. I saw his butt crack every day for a week."

So I guess maybe for me DIY means I get to talk about my own butt instead of someone else's. But the look on some people's faces when I do is very telling, so I think it's definitely worth the effort. Plus the pride thing, of course.

0 comments: