Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Systems Analyst Required

Ever see a resume for someone calling themselves a systems analyst and wonder, what does that mean, exactly? I do, or rather, I did until just now, when I realized that it implies some kind of analysis of a system, which is actually sort of what I do. From Wikipedia,

[A] system (from Latin systēma, in turn from Greek σύστημα systēma, "whole compounded of several parts or members, system", literary "composition") is a set of interacting or interdependent system components forming an integrated whole.


So even within your own body you've got your circulatory system, your nervous system, etc. And I guess that means someone like me who studies those things would be a systems analyst. Outside your body there's all sorts of other systems, some of the most complex being social systems. Here's the interesting dynamic that prompted this entry:

States seek to deny birthright citizenship to children of illegal immigrants

Lawmakers in Georgia and other states complain illegal immigrants are committing crimes in their communities and competing for public benefits and jobs.


Being a systems analyst, I feel compelled to point out, as others have done, two points: First, the jobs that these immigrants are willing to do are ones that US citizens refuse to do (many would prefer to earn the same amount of money through welfare - I wish I had a reference, and vaguely remember some socially conscious comedian like Bill Maher pulling a stunt demonstrating this). Second: if you're not legally able to work, and your kids aren't legally able to work, but you'd rather not go back to TJ and get shot up in a turf war, will you a) engage in criminal activity because gangs don't ask for your green card, or b) ... well, there is no option b, is there?

So, yeah, systems analyst. I used to think it was a euphemism for corporate dead-weight. Now I realize we need more of them.

0 comments: