Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Power of Truthiness

Did anyone else read about the recent territorial dispute in Latin America? You can read more on The Ceeb, but just so you don't have to go off-site, I present the Cole's Notes version of the story: There's a land dispute between two Latin American countries in which an error in Google Maps borders resulted in Nicaragua crossing over into Costa Rica.

When I read that, I thought, "Wow, that's alot of power." Sure, I trust Google Maps for live traffic updates, but for coordinating military movements and establishing political boundaries?

I guess Stephen Colbert was on to something when he brought Truthiness into the vernacular.



I took this photo on the way in to work one morning.


So, given all this power that Google apparently has, is there any reason they shouldn't use it to usher in a new age of peace and prosperity? Reunification of North and South Korea? A new Palestinian state? Bypass diplomacy altogether and just update Google's world map.

If anyone has any problem with it, Google can always threaten them with the "bomb you back to the stone age" cliche.

0 comments: