Friday, December 10, 2010

Banana Swap

Bananas are a peculiar fruit. Or are they a fruit? I'm not sure. I think so. One thing that's funny about them is that the trees that supply the bananas we eat don't grow from seeds. We bred the seeds out of the fruit generations ago, so you can only get a banana tree by taking a cutting from an existing banana tree.

Another funny thing about them? As they ripen, bananas begin a bright green, start to yellow, and then develop brown freckles that grow until the entire banana is chocolate brown. And for most people, bananas are palatable during only one of these brief stages. The problem is, you're either waiting or gorging because they're only edible for 10 minutes. Amy and Gill like their bananas yellow with a hint of green; to me, they taste like chalk. It isn't until they are yellow and just starting to take on freckles, ready for the girls to toss in the bin, that I'd eat them. And then there's Szeto, who I know will would eat a banana after it has turned black. But what if it were easier to coordinate your banana purchase with a line of friends who would happily take your overripe bananas off your hand?

I present the next big thing in social networking: bananaswap.com

Of course, I was taking quite a risk when I typed the domain name into my browser to see if it had been taken. Once you see something on the internet, you can't un-see it. It turns out someone beat me to the name, though it appears they sell furniture. I don't get the connection at all. Hopefully nobody else does either, and the company will go out of business so I can get the domain name for pennies on the dollar. In the meantime, if you're looking for something to do with your overripe bananas, I recommend using them in hot chocolate:

Bananaswap Hot Chocolate
5 oz. milk
1 oz. dark chocolate
pinch cayenne
1/2 overripe banana

If you know anything about me, you will know I made those measurements up.

Heat your milk up on the stove in your double-boiler. Go do something like tag a bunch of MP3 files, and then when you remember you were in the middle of making hot-chocolate, your milk should be the right temperature. Break the chocolate in to small chunks (chocolate chips already are small chunks), and whisk until melted into the milk.

Add a pinch of cayenne because all the cool kids add cayenne to chocolate these days. It's very hip. And tasty. Finally, drop in your half banana. You have a stick blender, right? You really need one. Use it to blend the banana into the cocoa. It also goes all frothy, which is a plus.

Serve.

I don't know why recipes often include that instruction. Like you're going to make a meal and then leave it in the casserole pan to rot.

Enjoy your vitamin fortified hot beverage. And if you literally use "a pinch" of cayenne, do not -- DO NOT -- rub your eyes unless you want to look like a G20 protester on Bill Blair's watch.

0 comments: