Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WWJD

A quickie from effamy? Two can play that game. Except this one has been in the works since this past weekend. I just didn't feel like typing it out in the car on my iPhone.

This weekend, Asher was baptized along with his youngest cousin, in what appears to have been a vain effort to drive the devil out of the baby. During the baptism, you are promising to instill good Christian values in your child. Some people go the extra mile and also instill the bad Christian values, like telling them that gays are an abomination, for example. But I'm lazy, so I just do the bare minimum, which means taking advantage of teaching opportunities when they present themselves. Like Saturday morning, for example. One of Jude's cousins is, for lack of a better word, bossy. And when she doesn't get her way, she gets quite sullen. I don't remember what order it was with which her playmates weren't complying, but the noncompliance resulted in her declaring that she "doesn't like them anymore."

I was in the room, listening to this all transpire, and thought, WWJD? Turn the other cheek of course. "Jude," I said, "when someone tells you they don't like you, tell them ``that's okay, I like you anyways´´," which is how the two of them replied to their sullen and now verbally neutered playmate. I like subtle. Zealotry and blowing up infidels has no place in civilized society. If you really want to get under someone's skin, try passive-aggressiveness. It's what Jesus would do.

1 comments:

effamy said...

the fictional white guy who passes as Jezuz in most corners of Euro-centric religions always strikes me as the ultimate surfer dude. Of course when you actually read the Bible, as most don't, he's actually only slightly less bad attitude than his papa and definitely not passive-aggressive. But, having stated all that, I do believe that passive-aggressiveness might just serve dear Jude and his trusty sidekick well in their bid for world domination.