Thursday, November 18, 2010

St. Louis. Gateway to the West. Why am I up late at a hotel in St. Louis on a Friday night? A couple of reasons. I just finished practicing a talk I am going to give tomorrow at the Psychonomics conference where I hope to find members of several hiring committees sneaking in a freebie job talk. Not that I would have been sleeping anyways. At around 4:30 this afternoon, I stopped by a Starbucks and ordered a large black tea. With some help from the store manager, a genuinely bemused barista eventually handed me a piping hot cup that required two cardboard sleeves, and was thus too hot to drink immediately. It wasn't until 10 minutes later when I realized it had steeped more than long enough that I took the lid off to find two large tea bags, each more than enough to brew an entire pot of tea.

The caffeine hit certainly got me through the rest of the day, but I hope it doesn't keep me up all night. I think I may be coming down, however. A couple of hours ago, I may have acted on my idea to put socks on some of my colleague's doorknobs.

0 comments: