Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Back in the saddle...

That title works on so many levels. I've been up for 19 hours now, having woken up at 4:00(EDT) with a sinus headache brought on by my head cold readying to exit my body via my nose. For that reason, I'm kind of ambivalent about runny noses: on one hand, they're damn irritating; on the other hand, they invariably seem to signal the end of the plague of the day. Unfortunately, the runny nose hit full steam as I was driving through Gary, Indiana at around 9:30, and there was nary a Kleenex to be found. The truly observant reader will have done a double-take just then. "He woke up in the Eastern time zone. Isn't Gary, IN in the Central time zone?" Aye, there's the rub. As my aunt observed, I have become an extreme commuter, having woke up in London, ON and made it in to work in Chicago, IL before noon. Unfortunately, even at my right-brainiest, I cannot come up with a way to spin that sort of protestant work ethic on to my academic resume.

I do lots of inventing when I am engaged in monotony. I can't tell you how many lawn and gardening related inventions I have come up with while cutting the grass over the years. Look for a better bum cushion to hit the shelves in the next 18 months.

The hiccup that I was experiencing with the Facebook blog import appears to have resolved itself since last week. But you should still consider visiting the original site because the imported version strips out some of the formatting as well as some embedded content, like youtube videos.

Speaking of which, if you haven't seen this yet, this is the most wonderful piece of comedy ever:



See, unless you go to the original site, you have no idea what the heck I am on about.

1 comments:

effamy said...

While extreme commuting has been noted as a sex killer (and sex makes us happier than money, research supports it, as do many newfoundlanders) clearly in your case it is a sex saver and I wholeheartedly support it. Hopefully though it is not long-term and so definitely not something you want on your cv.

And protestant work ethic you can't claim pope-boy. You don't even begin to understand that until you've lived under the Calvinist regime of a Protestant mother!